I wrote an article warning that this nation is becoming All Guns and No Roses on May 21st:
"What happened to America in the last 10 to 15 years? I think we've lost our way. Our moral compass needs a little help. Since 9/11, we don't seem to feel anything unless it cuts us all the way down to the bone. Thanks to the "Far-Right", the "NRA", "ALEC" and other extremists, America is becoming "ALL GUNS AND NO ROSES".
- Telling people who they can and can't marry is completely and totally counterproductive and unbelievably stupid
- Moving the country backwards, legislatively is completely and totally counterproductive and unbelievably stupid
- If you claim to be religious, how about following the basic doctrines and tenets...THOU SHALT NOT KILL, TREAT PEOPLE AS YOU WANT TO BE TREATED, LOVE THY NEIGHBOR, FORGIVE, BE KIND TO THE LEAST OF US, JUDGE NOT, LEST YE BE JUDGED...ETC., ETC. Don't just read the bible...FOLLOW its recommendations.
And now here we are again, just a few short weeks later. This maddening tragedy keeps repeating and repeating and repeating because we as a nation fail time and time again to rise up. We fail to speak up. We fail to vote and we fail to fight. We fail to change the laws of this nation because most of us have not yet been directly stained with the putrid blood-spatter of random gun-violence. The stench of death has not yet darkened our doorways, so we cower in the crippling shadows of inaction. We fail to act because it is not yet our child laying dead on the ground.
May God protect and keep the souls of the 12 people lost in Aurora, Colorado and may peace, and healing come swiftly to those who were wounded. May God comfort and care for the friends and families of the victims.
And may we all grow up and set aside our differences long enough to create an America where gun-violence becomes a thing of the past. I pray that every city, every town, and every state in this nation rises up to make the changes necessary so that we never again have to turn on the television or open the newspaper to find yet another horrific tale of savage gun-violence on American soil.
And I pray that this is the last time the parents of an American child have to watch a tiny coffin being lowered into the ground.
I pray for stronger leaders, for a public that finally stands up as one and screams enough! I pray for logic and reason and for the strength to change. I pray for an end to all gun-violence throughout the world and I pray that this is the last time any of us ever have to weep at the grave of a loved one, murdered in a hail of senseless gunfire.
If you don't believe that we can live without the scourge of senseless gun-violence...just visit any number of countries around the world that have wisely done away with it. Dozens of countries have risen to the challenge and we can too.
The innocent blood of all the victims clearly rests on the hands of our weak leaders and now those rancid bloodstains have transferred to our hands, because we, the people, continually refuse to act.
At some point, we must all come to terms with our failure to act. This nation is one six-gun away from returning to the lawless shoot-outs of the Wild-Wild-West. We are teetering on the edge of insanity. We are rapidly approaching the point of no return and those of us who have been valiantly sounding the warning bells are apt to grow weary.
Sadly, this rapid train of consequences has but one fatal destination, bloodshed and lots of it. Instead of attempting to switch tracks, our gun-loving nation is content to turn away and cringe, not quite sure when to brace for impact, but fully aware that the train-wreck is imminent.
God help us. God help us all. We've got to inject common sense and reason into our gun laws or continue to suffer the bloody consequences.
May God grant us the strength and wisdom to change. May God bless and keep the fallen and may God bless this great nation. Amen.
- "The World is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion." -- Thomas Paine
- "To put the world in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must cultivate our personal life; and to cultivate our personal life, we must first set our hearts right." -- Confucius